The Forum has a variety of roles to play.
- A ‘watchdog’ function: with members all over the country we are well-
placed to learn about libraries under threat or in severe need, and we
can work with others to find a satisfactory solution – but you must keep
- Somewhere to find an expert when your library needs advice, whether
in cataloguing systems or conservation or in other problem areas like
- Encouraging the growing awareness, nationally and regionally, that
historic libraries can contribute in a special way to the national pool of
library and information resources.
- Organising reasonably priced events on subjects of interest to our
- Arranging mentors for our members.
Our links to the British Library, CILIP (formerly the Library Association) and the Bibliographical Society can all help you to find answers. We are aiming to improve our communication mechanisms, through meetings, the newsletter, and the Forum website; and we do very much need our members to communicate with us.